Action Alert: Meeting Locations for NAIS Listening Sessions
USDA has released the specific locations for the remaining six “listening sessions” on the National Animal Identification System (NAIS). This week’s listening session in Colorado was, yet again, dominated by individuals and organizations opposed to NAIS! Help us build the momentum against NAIS, with bigger and bigger crowds at each meeting. Come to the meeting nearest you, and bring all your friends and neighbors!
If you can’t come in person, USDA is accepting written comments both online and through the mail. Details on where, when, and how to take action to stop NAIS are all below.
For more information about NAIS:
Take Action #1: Go to a meeting!
Tuesday, June 9: Jefferson City, Missouri: Truman Center, 1510 Jefferson Street
Thursday, June 11: Rapid City, South Dakota: Holiday Inn Rapid City, Rushmore Plaza, 505 North Fifth Street
Tuesday, June 16: Albuquerque, New Mexico: Route 66 Casino & Conference Center, 14500 Central Avenue, SW
Thursday, June 18: Riverside, California, location tbd
Thursday, June 25: Raleigh, North Carolina: Jane S. McKimmon Center, 1101 Gorman Street
Saturday, June 27: Jasper, Florida: Hamilton County Extension, 1143 NW US Hwy 41
TIME: Registration starts at 8 am. The meeting is scheduled from 9 am – 4 pm, although several meetings have ended early.
1) Pre-register Online: Send an email to NAISSessions@aphis.usda.gov In the subject line of the e-mail, indicate your name and the location of the meeting you plan to attend. If you wish to present public comments, include your name and address in the body of the message.
2) Pre-register by Phone: call 301-734-0799
3) Register the day of the meeting, starting at 8 am at the meeting location
Check out the video recordings and public comments from the listening sessions, posted at http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/nais-listening-comments.htm
Take Action #2: Submit written comments!
USDA’s website now indicates that it will accept written comments through August 3, 2009. But don’t wait! Submit comments now, before it slips your mind.
You can use the sample comments posted at: http://farmandranchfreedom.org/content/Sample-comments Be sure to personalize them to have the greatest impact!
Submit comments ONLINE: http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/component/main?main=DocketDetail&d=APHIS-2009-0027
The Federal Register site can be confusing and difficult. Here’s what to do:
1) Click on the yellow balloon under the “add comments” column
2) Fill out the required fields and type in your comments. If your comments are more than a paragraph or so, we recommend that you first write them in a word document, and then copy & paste them into the comments field.
3) Click on “next step”
4) At the end of the process, you should receive a confirmation number.
or MAIL to:
Surveillance and Identification Programs
National Center for Animal Health Programs, VS, APHIS,
4700 River Road Unit 200
Riverdale, MD 20737
Our postal address is
4200 Wisconsin Avenue, NW
Washington, District of Columbia 20016