Depression is escalating, world-wide, as is the use of psychotropic drugs to treat it. What is happening? Why is mental illness increasing at alarming rates? Are drugs the best way to treat it or are there alternative approaches to consider? In today’s episode, Dr. Kelly Brogan, a holistic psychiatrist and the author of „A Mind of Your Own,“ challenges our preconceived notions about the causes and treatment of depression and other mental illnesses.
Kelly suggests a holistic approach to treating mental illness–that the best way to heal the mind is to heal the body first. She suggests looking at gut health as a factor in mental health; she explores how psychological issues can be approached without the use of drugs; and she discusses the risks and benefits of decreasing medication. Finally, she offers action steps to help heal the body and the mind.
Highlights from the conversation include:
- Kelly’s story – her diagnosis and how it spurred her to conduct research and find a different way to treat illness
- why she believes that mental health issues can be treated without the use of drugs
- how psychiatric illness is escalating and has become the number one cause of disability
- how psychotropic drugs are not decreasing depression or staving off disease
- why depression may be an inappropriate label
- how depression is treated improperly
- how many diseases stem from the same root cause, but express themselves differently
- the risks and benefits of coming off medication
- the truth about a “one-size-fits-all” diet
- how a clean body leads to a clean mind
- action steps to help the body heal