Maureen’s original recipe for a delicious, digestion-enhancing and nutritious fermented chutney. Try some with pork, chicken, or as a breakfast side. Makes 1 quart.
Pure Indian Foods sells a very nice jaggery which provides a very rich flavor; consider using this for the small sugar portion. It is also good for ginger beer and other fermentations which require sugar.
- About 6 ripe but firm combined apples & pears, diced (If fruit is on the small size, use more)
- 1/4 cup whey
- 1-2 Tbsp muscovado, jaggery, or other unrefined sugar recommended in the WAPF Shopping Guide
- 2 tsp good quality, unrefined salt
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger root
- 3 star anise pods
- 1 sweet cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
Combine everything in a large bowl. Pour into a quart jar, topping off with filtered water if needed while leaving 1 1/2″ of headspace. Let ferment at room temp for 2 days, “burping” daily (or use an airlock). Refrigerate.🖨️ Print post