Azure Farms is a working, Certified Organic farm located in Moro, Central Oregon, in Sherman County. It has been Certified Organic for about 18 years. The farm produces almost all the organic wheat, field peas, barley, Einkorn, and beef for Azure Standard.
Sherman County is changing the interpretation of its statutory code from controlling noxious weeds to eradicating noxious weeds. These weeds include Morning Glory, Canada Thistle, and Whitetop, all of which have been on the farm for many years, but that only toxic chemicals will eradicate.
Organic farming methods – at least as far as we know today – can only control noxious weeds—it is very difficult to eradicate them.
Sherman County may be issuing a Court Order on May 22, 2017, to quarantine Azure Farms and possibly to spray the whole farm with poisonous herbicides, contaminating them with Milestone, Escort and Roundup herbicides.
The county would then put a lien on the farm to pay for the expense of the labor and chemicals used.
ACTION TO TAKE
If you are concerned about where your food comes from, enjoy organic and non-GMO food grown in the United States, and support organic farmers, contact Sherman County Court before May 22, 2017 (and preferably before May 17 when the next court discussion will be held).
1. Via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or…
2. Call Lauren at 541-565-3416.
Raise your voice and speak up for you and your families and communities.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
· This proposed action is completely unreasonable and would destroy an organic farm and pollute a massive area.
· Sherman County is changing the interpretation of its statutory code from controlling noxious weeds to eradicating noxious weeds.
· This action would destroy all the efforts Azure Farms has made for years to produce the very cleanest and healthiest food humanly possible. About 2,000 organic acres would be impacted; that is about 1.5 times the size of the city center of Philadelphia that is about to be sprayed with noxious, toxic, polluting herbicides.
· This action would set a dangerous precedent of allowing a state or local government to spray any property, including your house and garden, with toxic chemicals—and then force you to pay for the procedure.
· The spraying will NOT eliminate noxious weeds but only cause them to morph into herbicide-resistant varieties.