Legalize Interstate Raw Milk – Tell Your Rep. to Sponsor HR 5410
Raw milk and products made from raw milk (other than aged raw cheese) are the only foods banned in interstate commerce. In 1987 FDA issued a regulation establishing the ban in response to a court order, bypassing the people’s branch of government; Congress never had any say in bringing on the raw milk prohibition. For the past thirty two years, dairy farmers producing safe, quality raw milk have lost markets and raw milk consumers have lost access to a product many of them believe benefits their health. Continuing their efforts to end this injustice, Representatives Thomas Massie (R-KY) and Chellie Pingree (D-ME) have re-introduced the Interstate Milk Freedom Act (H.R. 5410,), a bill that would allow sales of raw milk and raw milk products in interstate commerce.
HR 5410 would allow the interstate traffic of raw milk between two states that both have legalized its sale or distribution. It doesn’t matter if the laws of the two states aren’t the same; the federal government cannot stop any interstate shipment solely on the grounds that the product is raw milk. Raw milk opponents have played the fear card on the health risks involved with consuming raw milk but, with the continued improvement in the recent track record of raw milk for safety, it is becoming more difficult for them to maintain that argument. Now is the time to change the law.
Please help end a ban that has hurt both the small farm economy and public health.
ACTION TO TAKE
1.. Call or email your U.S. Representative asking her/him to sign on as a co-sponsor to HR 5410. Calls are most effective.
2. If your U.S. Representative has already signed on as a co-sponsor, please thank her/him for doing so. There are currently 22 cosponsors.
1. Raw milk properly prepared and handled is a safe, low-risk food. A recent study indicated that, as the demand for raw milk has increased over the last 12-15 years, the number of foodborne illness outbreaks blamed on raw milk has declined substantially. In 2019 there were few, if any, outbreaks attributed to raw milk consumption.
2. Consumers’ freedom of choice to obtain raw milk should not end at the state line. Informed and health-conscious consumers should be able to purchase raw milk from the source of their choice without FDA interference.
3. HR 5410 would increase markets for raw milk farmers and improve their ability to make a living.
4. There are currently numerous foods that have worse track records for food safety than raw milk. It’s time that the government stopped holding raw milk to a double standard–a standard of perfection that it applies to no other food.
WAPF will give further updates on HR 5410 as events warrant.