This recipe is dedicated to my past, current and future detox groups who are actively taking part in regaining their birthright…radiant health, through traditional ways. One of those ways is by making our own snack bars. I call them LisaBars…kind of a play on the ready-made LaraBars that are my go-to if I’m traveling.
- 3 cups dates (pitted)
- 1 1/2 cups cashews (soaked and dried)
- 1/2 cup almonds (soaked and dried)
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds (soaked and dried)
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups coconut chips or 1 cup of shredded coconut
- Place dates in food processor and process on low for about a minute. Scrape sides and add nuts. Continue to process for about a minute and a half on low…scraping sides as necessary.
- Add salt and coconut (half cup at a time works well) and process on low for 2 minutes. Add pumpkin seeds and process on low for about a minute. When you squeeze the mixture and it sticks together, you’re ready to roll it out. If not, process at 30-second intervals and recheck.
- Plop the mixture onto parchment paper, cover it and roll it out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into rectangles (or any shape you want, really), wrap individually with parchment paper, and place in refrigerator or freezer. An alternate choice is to roll into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- GET CREATIVE: I often will take part of the batch and grate lemon zest into it for a lemon zingy bar. Go by taste. For this size batch, I would use about a tablespoon. You can also use cinnamon and/or cardamom, dried cherries and other fruit, depending on your taste buds. Don’t have the specific nuts listed above…use what you have. Allergies? Respect them (and explore GAPS to heal them) and use what your body can tolerate.