I consider garlic* so much more important than a simple salad dressing ingredient, which is mostly what many of us use it for. I add garlic to almost everything I eat. Below is one of my own homemade recipes: my great afternoon potato snack, which is a super relaxer and wind-down remedy/food combo. This makes a calming mid or late afternoon snack that supplies healthy carbohydrates and probiotics. Additionally, it makes for a great night’s sleep—however, I don’t recommend eating this right before you go to bed.
- 1 medium organic brown potato
- Lard, tallow, or coconut oil (for rubbing potato skin)
- ½ cup yogurt sour cream, or crème fraîche
- 3 tablespoons raw or organic butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or crushed well
- 2 teaspoons organic fresh (preferred) or dry dill weed
- 1 teaspoon kelp flakes (or to taste)
- Unrefined salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Wash and dry potato. Rub the skin with lard, tallow, or coconut oil.
- Bake in an uncovered pan until a knife goes in easily.
- Remove from oven. Split potato open and slightly squeeze on either side.
- Mix yogurt sour cream or crème fraîche with butter, garlic, and dill. Spoon mixture over the potato. Add kelp flakes, salt, and pepper to taste.
*For more information on garlic, see this blog post.