This recipe is from Sally Fallon Morell’s Nourishing Traditions, with some optional additions recommended by community members! It makes about 1.5 quarts.
- 3 egg yolks, preferably organic and locally sourced from pastured hens that are soy and corn-free
- ½ cup maple syrup – or less to taste; ⅓ may be plenty!
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract – or more to taste; some prefer 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 3 cups heavy cream, preferably raw
- ½ cup crispy walnuts, finely chopped
- ½ scope of grass-fed collagen for extra nutrients
Beat egg yolks and blend in remaining ingredients.
Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to instructions.
For ease of serving, transfer into shallow glass container, cover and store in the freezer.
For those who want a fully stainless steel ice cream maker, the fairly pricey Lello 4080 Musso Lussino 1.5-Quart Ice Cream Maker is recommended by some of our community members. A considerably less expensive option is made from aluminum by Cuisinart.