The Connecticut Legislature is considering yet another bad vaccine bill, H.B. 7101, that would push flu shots on hospitalized seniors.
Your urgent action is needed to stop H.B. 7101. Come and testify TOMORROW, 2/19/19 at 10:30am at the hearing in the Joint Committee on Aging. (See take action below.)
Doctors should be the ones responsible for assessing if a vaccine is medically appropriate for a hospital patient, after considering the full case. Yet current Connecticut law already provides that hospitals may administer flu and pneumococcal vaccines to patients 65 and older without a physician’s order, as long as it is consistent with a physician-approved hospital policy and after an assessment for contraindications (without specifying who does that assessment).
HB 7101 goes further and would require a hospital to offer flu vaccines to each inpatient 65 and older “unless medically contraindicated.”
Changing the law from “may” to “require” is unnecessary and places older patients at risk for vaccines that are not in their best medical interests.
Please help us protect seniors by stopping this bill!
- Attend the hearing TOMORROW, Tuesday, February 19th at 10:30am. If you plan on testifying, sign up before the hearing starts and bring 20 copies of any written material you want to share. You can also come and register against the bill without testifying.
For more information on what to expect when testifying: https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/Content/YourVoice.asp
State Capitol Building, Room 1C of the LOB
210 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106
- Call or email your Connecticut State Representative and ask them to oppose H.B. 7101. You can find out who represents you at: https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/cgafindleg.asp
Pick a couple of the talking points from below to use in your call or email. Don’t use all of them – a short, personalized call or email is the most effective.
- Urge your State Representative to vote no on H.B. 7101, which would require hospitals to offer flu vaccines to vulnerable seniors.
- Using the MedAlertssearch engine, as of June 30, 2018, there have been more than 153,034 reports of influenza vaccine reactions, hospitalizations, injuries and deaths following influenza vaccinations made to the federal Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System (VAERS), including 1,476 related deaths, 11,739 hospitalizations, and 3,084 related disabilities.
- Moderate reactions reported after influenza vaccine include fever, local reactions (pain, redness, swelling at the site of the injection), headache, fatigue, sore throat, nasal congestion, cough, joint and muscle pain, and nausea. Serious vaccine complications include brain inflammation and neurological damage, convulsions, Bell’s palsy, limb paralysis, neuropathy, shock, wheezing/asthma and other breathing problems, and death. Influenza vaccinations can cause Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS), a painful and disabling immune and neurological disorder of the peripheral nervous system that can cause temporary or permanent paralysis and death.
- Most influenza studies are poorly designed and have failed to demonstrate that flu vaccines are either safe or effective. According to the prestigious, independent Cochrane Collaboration, flu vaccines don’t work. In their paper, the authors state, “At best, (flu) vaccines might be effective against only influenza A and B, which represent about 10% of all circulating viruses.” http://www.greatergoodmovie.org/news-views/should-you-get-the-flu-shot/ http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD001269.pub4/full
- The CDC has identified poor influenza vaccine effectiveness for elderly persons in their publication entitled “Interim Estimates of 2018–19 Seasonal Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness — United States, February 2019”: “Among adults ≥50 years, vaccine effectiveness against all influenza types and influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 was 24%(-15% to 51%) and 8% (-59% to 46%), respectively; neither were significant.”
- The flu vaccine is the most compensated for vaccine in the U.S., harming and killing more people than all the other vaccines combined. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/ensuringsafety/monitoring/vaers/
- It is estimated that 80% of flu-like illness reported during the “flu season” is not caused by influenza. http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/52/suppl_1/S75.long
- Vaccine makers and the healthcare providers who administer them bear zero liability for vaccine injuries and deaths. The vaccine manufacturers reap all the profits from vaccine mandates, without having to pay for any of the injuries or harm.
- The US Supreme Court recognizes vaccines to be “unavoidably unsafe” and to cause injury and death in some recipients. The US Government has paid out approximately $4 billion to the victims of vaccine injury. Hundreds of thousands have reported an adverse reaction to vaccination to VAERS. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/ensuringsafety/monitoring/vaers/
- Vaccine package inserts warn of the risk of brain damage, life-threatening allergy, and death and no one knows in advance whom a vaccine will harm. The government should not force a person to inject a pharmaceutical product into their body, when that product could injure or kill them. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/side-effects.htm#flu