This is one of my favorite summer recipes! I served it at the Weston Price conference banquet dinner for dessert in Chicago a few years ago as well as at my last birthday party. People always love this. it is pretty easy and a winner!
Yes, folks, it is true… this pie is not only delicious but also good for you. It is made of all natural, wholesome ingredients and is unlike any Key Lime Pie you have ever had. Most Key Lime Pies contain sweetened condensed milk which is one of the worst substances you can ever put in your body. It is so completely dead and contributes to many a stuffy nose. This pie is actually made with avocados! … .And for those of you that don’t know, avocados are rich in Vitamin E and provide you with plenty of good satiating fat. This pie also contains lots of lime juice. Lime juice is very cleansing to the liver. Coconut milk is also one of the ingredients and it serves to help strengthen your immune system and protect you from foreign invaders. The crust is made of nuts which are another source of good fat as well as adding a very nutty, delightful texture. And dates are added to help sweeten this pie crust naturally. You will need a blender, food processor and a spring form pan to make this. This pie would be a great summertime treat for your family. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Pie Crust
- 6 pitted dates
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup pecans
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients for Filling
- 1.5 cups lime juice
- 1 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- ½ cup organic coconut milk
- 2 cups avocado (about 2 avocados)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup coconut oil (optional – this helps to hold the pie together)
- Whip Cream
- 2 cups or 1 pint organic (ideally raw) heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of honey or liquid stevia to desired sweetness
- Place dates in the food processor and process until they become a paste.
- Add nuts, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and process until crumbly.
- Pat this mixture down in the spring form pan and up the sides creating a thick crust.
- Blend filling ingredients in blender until smooth. Pour into pie crust. Place in freezer and freeze for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, whip cream until it forms soft peaks. Spread whipped cream onto pie and place back in freezer 2 hours more. Freeze for 3 hours total or longer.
- When you are ready to serve, remove from freezer and let sit 1 hour before serving to soften. Slice and serve. Garnish with lime slices, raspberries and mint leaves.