WESTON A. PRICE FOUNDATION
May 16, 2006
Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) has introduced an amendment to block funding for the National Animal Identification System (NAIS). His amendment will probably be voted on late Wednesday afternoon or evening as part of the House Agriculture Appropriations bill (HR 5384).
This is a great opportunity to stop NAIS. If the funding is cut off, then the USDA cannot continue to give grants to state agencies and private companies to promote and implement the program!
Please call your Congressman today! We do not have much time to rally support for Rep. Paul’s amendment, so it is critical that everyone take action without delay.
The Capitol Switchboard number (202) 225-3121. If you don’t know who to call, go to http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/ and enter your zip code in the box on the left-hand side of the screen. Your Congreesional Rerpresentative’s contact information will be provided.
Ask her/him to vote for Ron Paul’s Amendment to HR 5384 to block funding for NAIS because (choose a couple of reasons you think most appropriate, or use your own):
1. NAIS will be too costly and burdensome for farmers and ranchers.
2. NAIS invades the privacy of every American who owns even one livestock animal, whether a horse, pet pot-bellied pig, chicken, cow, goat, sheep, etc.
3. NAIS will not protect us against disease or bioterrorism because (a) it does not address the causes of disease;
(b) it does not address how diseases are transmitted;
(c) we already have sufficient means of tracking diseases and
controlling outbreaks; and
(d) the recommended technology (ISO radiotags) can be easily reprogrammed, so that it is ineffective against intentional introductions of
4. NAIS will greatly expand the government bureaucracy, at the cost of individuals’ rights and the free market.
5. NAIS will raise the cost of food, while not providing any additional food safety.
6. NAIS has been developed by the USDA without Congressional hearings or debate, and without any real involvement of the tens of thousands of individuals who will be affected.
If you have questions about this action alert, please contact Judith McGeary at email@example.com
Please call now. And forward this alert to all of your contacts, so that we can create the support we need for Congressman Paul’s amendment!
Judith McGeary (Austin, TX Chapter Leader) Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance http://www.farmandranchfreedom.org/
If you wiish to join Judith’s mailing list on NAIS, please go to