This recipe combines 2 flavors that go so well together – chili and lime. Add the butter, onion and garlic and it is d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s! As soon as it comes out of the oven, my children try to pounce on it, but it has to rest for 10 minutes like a steak. This keeps the juices from running out and allows time for them to be fully reabsorbed into the meat. The kids come back every few minutes to check to see if 10 minutes has gone by and beg me for “chef treats”. It is so popular in our house that I usually make 2 whole birds at a time. Doesn’t matter what I serve with it either because this chicken gets devoured!
- 1 whole fresh or thawed pastured chicken (see directions below to quick thaw frozen chicken*)
- 2 Tbsp grass-fed butter
- 1 lime or 1⁄2 a lemon
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- unrefined sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Put grass-fed butter on skin of chicken and under breast skin and inside carcass.
- Sprinkle with chili powder, garlic, onion, cayenne (both sides of chicken). Season inside carcass with salt and pepper.
- Broil at 425°F for 10 minutes breast side down with opening of chicken facing toward open oven,
until skin is nicely browned.
- Flip to breast side (using tongs makes this easy). Broil at 425°F for 10 minutes.
- Switch oven to bake at 325°F for 1-1.2 hrs (or until internal temp is 175°F-180°F). Baste with juices every 15 minutes (if desired – Julia Child did!)
- Remove from oven. Baste with juices. Squeeze fresh lime (or lemon) over chicken.
- LET REST 10 MINUTES (very important!). Add a little extra salt and pepper to your taste.
*How to quick thaw your chicken – Remove chicken from packaging. Place whole bird in large pot of hot water on counter for 20-30 minutes. Make sure hot water gets into inner cavity of chicken.🖨️ Print post