The beauty of making your own mac & cheese is you can use the cheese you like. It can be all of one kind or a variety. Often I will use what I have on hand. It always comes out delicious. Be creative; it’s your kitchen and your dish!
- 12 oz. to 16 oz. box of organic dried whole grain pasta (I use einkorn pasta)
- 6 cups of milk
- 3 cups of grated cheese (I used 1/2 cup of parmesan and the rest sharp cheddar)
- 1/2 cup organic sprouted flour (or organic unbleached flour)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- 1/4 tsp dried mustard
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Spread the butter on the inside of crock-pot.
- Pour in the dried pasta.
- In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Whisk to combine.
- Pour over dried pasta.
- Cook on low for one hour; then stir.
- Cook an additional two hours stirring every hour.
- Depending on your crock-pot, it should be done.
- If your low is really low, cook the first hour on medium or high; then lower it to low.
- You could use brown rice pasta and brown rice flour, if you are gluten-free.
- Add some cooked chicken.
- Do you love seafood? Add some shrimp or lobster pieces.
- Get crazy and add a variety of chopped vegetables.
Isabelle Eyman says
I’m curious about the recipe calling for whole grain pasta….is there an opinion by Weston Price about the lectins contained in these foods. My mother baked all of her whole grain bread and grew her food, etc…and gained weight complaining she was always so hungry. The wheat germ aglutenin in the bran supposedly penetrates our intestinal wall and attaches to the insulin receptors…explaining my mom’s clinical experience.
Renee Pokoj says
The only whole grain pasta I use is organic Einkorn which is an ancient grain. It has not been hybridized, it has the original 14 chromosomes while modern wheat has 42 chromosomes. It is high in lutein which supports eye health and is low in gluten. In addition, it is higher in protein and lower in carbs compared to modern wheat. It has essential and trace minerals, B vitamins, and is rich in carotenoids.
Our family enjoys sourdough bread, when we use flour it is organic Einkorn or Spelt. Pasta is not a daily meal, only once in a while. No one in our household has a weight issue.
Sally Fallon also states the importance of eating a quality fat with our consumption of bread. This recipe has fat for this reason and because it is Mac and Cheese.
I purchase mine from Jovial Foods or Young Living. Below are a few links you might be interested in checking out.
This is absolutely delicious. I subbed some of the milk with buttermilk and heavy cream because that is what I had on hand. Thank you for such a wonderful recipe
Erika Dotzauer says
Box Pasta! I’m shocked to be reading this on WAPF website! LOL is this a accident ? I can’t imagine how boxed pasta is aligned with WAPF