The beauty of making your own mac & cheese is you can use the cheese you like. It can be all of one kind or a variety. Often I will use what I have on hand. It always comes out delicious. Be creative; it’s your kitchen and your dish!
- 12 oz. to 16 oz. box of organic dried whole grain pasta (I use einkorn pasta)
- 6 cups of milk
- 3 cups of grated cheese (I used 1/2 cup of parmesan and the rest sharp cheddar)
- 1/2 cup organic sprouted flour (or organic unbleached flour)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- 1/4 tsp dried mustard
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Spread the butter on the inside of crock-pot.
- Pour in the dried pasta.
- In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Whisk to combine.
- Pour over dried pasta.
- Cook on low for one hour; then stir.
- Cook an additional two hours stirring every hour.
- Depending on your crock-pot, it should be done.
- If your low is really low, cook the first hour on medium or high; then lower it to low.
- You could use brown rice pasta and brown rice flour, if you are gluten-free.
- Add some cooked chicken.
- Do you love seafood? Add some shrimp or lobster pieces.
- Get crazy and add a variety of chopped vegetables.