Nutritional Comments: We all need electrolytes and the best kind are the ones we make ourselves. Soft drinks that claim they contain maximum electrolytes also contain simple sugars, flavorings and colors that are in the end not as healthy as those drinks you make at home. Try the great recipe below for a healthy electrolyte beverage.
Electrolytes are electrically-charged substances found in your urine, blood and other bodily fluids. They are needed to keep a healthy balance within the body. Electrolytes come in different forms, including chlorine, potassium, phosphate, magnesium, calcium and sodium. You must keep electrolytes balanced within your body to allow it to maintain proper water amounts in your body, balance blood acidity, allow for proper muscle action, and to allow other important processes to occur. Sweat releases electrolytes, so in order to replenish them; you must consume foods and drinks that contain electrolytes. Excerpt from: http://www.livestrong.com/article/521215-the-benefits-of-electrolytes-in-water/
—Adapted from Top 10 Home Remedies
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced organic ginger or 3–5 slices fresh, thinly sliced organic ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh organic lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1–2 tablespoons raw organic honey
- Heat water in a pan.
- Add the ginger and simmer for 3–5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, sea salt, and raw organic honey.
- Mix thoroughly to dissolve honey and salt.
- This drink may be cooled in the refrigerator and ice added to your glass or bottle after it’s cooled.
This recipe was included in my popular “Coffee Please” blog post. A must read: