Subject: IA Action Alert – 2/15/22 Senate Subcommittee Vote on Raw Milk Sales SSB 3126
Tell Subcommittee Members to Vote YES for SSB 3126
Support Legal Raw Milk Sales in Iowa
Senate Study Bill 3126 (SSB 3126) is before the Senate Commerce Subcommittee and is scheduled for a hearing on Tuesday, February 15 at 8:30am in Room 24 of the General Assembly Building. SSB 3126 would allow the sale of raw milk and raw milk products from dairy farms direct to consumers on the farm or through delivery. There is a labeling requirement, and those purchasing raw milk and raw milk products may not resell those foods. Farmers operating under the bill are exempt from regulation by the Iowa Department of Land Stewardship including any licensing, permitting or inspection requirements.
There are currently 44 states that allow the sale or distribution of raw milk; 38 states allow the sale or distribution for human consumption with another six states allowing the sale for animal consumption. Iowa is clearly an outlier; state law currently prohibits any sale or distribution of raw milk. All states bordering Iowa allow the sale of raw milk.
Your support for SSB 3126 is critical. Lobbyists for the dairy industry and the health sector have already lined up to testify against the bill. Please do what you can to end raw milk prohibition in Iowa.
ACTION TO TAKE
1. Attend the hearing and testify before the subcommittee on Tuesday, February 15 at 8:30am Central. If you cannot attend the hearing, you may email your testimony. Include any of the Talking Points below.
You can also copy/paste this block of emails to reach all subcommittee members:
email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
2. There are three senators on the subcommittee: Jason Schultz, Tony Basignano and Amy Sinclair. Senator Schultz is the sponsor of the bill so please call and or email Senators Basignano and Sinclair to ask them to vote for SSB 3126 — calls are best. It is especially important to contact the senators if you are a constituent.
Sen. Tony Bisignano (D – District 17)
Sen. Amy Sinclair (R – District 14)
Sen. Jason Schultz (R – District 9), bill sponsor
1. Raw milk has a good track record for safety. According to at least one study, the number of illnesses attributed to raw milk consumption has declined as demand for the product has increased.
2. Passage of SSB 3126 will keep more of the food dollar in the state economy. With the sale of raw milk being legal in all of Iowa’s bordering states, there are lost revenues.
3. Passage of SSB 3126 would enable family farmers to make a better living. Raw milk in other states is often the product that first draws the consumer to set foot on the farm leading to sales of other foods such as meat, poultry, eggs, and produce.
4. The bill supports consumer choice. The consumption of all raw milk products is legal in Iowa. Instead of having to cross state lines to exercise their legal right, shouldn’t Iowans have access to those products from Iowa farmers?
WAPF will be sending out further alerts on SSB 3126 as events warrant.🖨️ Print post
Leave a Reply