Just like some people take a multivitamin on a daily basis, I always have some liver in the fridge. Each time I experiment with new liver dishes, depending on what else is in the fridge at the time. I got a box of beautiful mushrooms from a friend and instantly thought of a creamy stroganoff. And that led me to using mushrooms and cream in my new recipe.
I didn’t add any brandy and used nutmeg instead. There’s no bacon either because I wanted the mushrooms to stand out. The nutmeg and mushrooms actually neutralized the liver taste, although it wasn’t intentional. Therefore, I think this dish is perfect for liver ‘beginners’ or those who struggle with the taste.
- Liver of your choice, cut to your liking (600g / 1.3 lbs)
- Mushrooms of your choice, quartered (300g / 0.66 lbs)
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- Raw cream (200 ml / 6.8 oz)
- 1 heaped Tbsp of clarified or regular butter
- 2 pinches of nutmeg
- Unrefined sea salt
- Flat leaf parsley, optional
- Melt the butter, add onion and saute until soft.
- Add mushrooms and cook until golden.
- Add garlic, cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add cream, stir, lower the heat so that cream doesn’t curdle.
- Add liver and nutmeg (don’t saute prior to cooking as this will result in a tough texture).
- Cook until soft, approx. 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in chopped parsley – optional.
Serving idea: with soaked and cooked buckwheat groats or brown basmati rice, or on sourdough toast + gherkins or cooked beetroot, finely grated and mixed with some horseradish.🖨️ Print post