This recipe is delicious fresh, or stays good in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. This recipe is also amazing if you bake it and then freeze it, thaw, and warm when you would like to consume it.
How to video recipe found at:
- 4 cups rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 2 tbsp fresh ground rye or rye flakes
- 3 cups filtered water
- 2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp healthy salt
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger spice
- 1/2 T ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 cup honey [Recipe Moderator Note – sweeteners can certainly be reduced to taste!]
- Pour oatmeal and rye into a container with a lid.
- In a medium saucepan, warm 3 cups of water.
- Once water is warm, remove saucepan from heat and add 2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar.
- Pour water/vinegar mixture into container with the oats and rye and mix quickly with a spoon.
- Place a lid on the container and allow to sit at room temperature for 8 to 24 hours.
- After 8 to 24 hours empty the container with the oat mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Next add the eggs, pumpkin puree, baking powder, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and honey. Mix well.
- Grease a 9 by 13 pan with your choice of healthy fat such as lard, tallow, coconut oil, butter, goose fat, or duck fat.
- Pour the oatmeal mixture into the 9 by 13 pan and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
- Once cooled top with whipped cream, melted butter, or syrup! [Recipe Moderator Note – crème fraîche is an additional recommendation!]