Cabbage is a marvelous vegetable. It has minimal carbs, is low in calories and is high in nutrients and fiber. This stir-fry that I make is almost always a big hit with company, being delicious and very good for us. One neighbor who dined on it at my house is now busy making it for all of her friends. It does require a bit of cooking time so it is a commitment but well worth the effort.
- 1 large cabbage
- 1 large onion
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 sausages from a pastured farm
- a pinch of unrefined sea salt
- Put 3 tablespoons of the coconut oil in a VERY large frying pan and heat to soften. Dice the onion and add it to the pan along with the salt. Stir-fry for five minutes or so until soft.
- Slice the entire cabbage into thin strips (this can be done ahead of time if desired) and add to the pan. Stir often. After 30 minutes or so, place the other tablespoon of coconut oil in a separate pan along with the sausages.
- Once they have browned on all sides, cut them into bite-sized pieces and continue to cook, stirring often. This should take about 15 minutes total. They can be added to the cabbage and stir-fried for a few minutes or set aside for another 10 minutes first.
- This dish is excellent when cooked for a total of 45 minutes, but absolutely heavenly if cooked for close to an hour. Depending upon appetites, it will serve 4-6 people.