Here’s an easy homemade pumpkin soup with herbs. I recommend tan pumpkins if you can find them.
- 3 lb pie pumpkin, strings and seeds removed
- 1 Tbsp butter, ghee or extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups stock or broth
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
- 1 Tbsp sage leaves, dried or fresh, chopped
- 1 sprig thyme leaves, no stems
- 1 Tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup coconut cream or heavy cream
- Heat oven to 400°F. Depending on size of pumpkin, cut into two or four pieces. Place pumpkin pieces cut side down onto shallow baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast pumpkin for 40-50 minutes or until texture is soft. Allow pumpkin to cool enough to be easily handled.
- Melt butter, ghee or olive oil in stock pot. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add garlic, turmeric, sage and thyme and sauté for another 3 minutes while stirring.
- Scoop out pumpkin flesh and add to stockpot with onions, garlic and herbs. Add stock or broth and 1/2 cup coconut cream/heavy cream. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Serve in ceramic bowls. Drizzle with reserved coconut cream/heavy cream and sprinkle with dried or fresh sage.
- Roast the pumpkin seeds that were removed in step 1 for about 15 minutes at 350°F. Sprinkle with sea salt and garnish this dish with them.