- Glyphosate and Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Stephanie Seneff explains the link
- Sunscreens: The Dark Side Elizabeth Plourde enlightens us on the chemicals and nanoparticles in sunscreens
- A Metabolic View of Cancer Dr. Mel Litman outlines the metabolic theory of cancer
- Chronic Disease and Vaccines Natalie Campbell describes a new study comparing vaccinated and unvaccinated
- The Crowd’s Dietary Wisdom Tom Naughton explains why we should listen to crowds, not experts
- President’s Message: Nutrient X
- Letters: Letters to the Editor of Wise Traditions
- Caustic Commentary: Sally Fallon Morell takes on the Diet Dictocrats
- Reading Between the Lines Merinda Teller advises avoiding coffee
- The Wise Traditions Pantry Jennifer Grafiada describes care for new mothers
- Homeopathy Journal Joette Calabrese explains homeopathy for burns
- Technology As Servant John Moody on healthy and unhealthy cookware
- WAPF Podcast Interview Hilda Gore talks to Zen Honeycutt about glyphosate
- All Thumbs Book Reviews
- Tim’s DVD Reviews
- Legislative Updates Judith McGeary keeps us up to date on lab meat, Monsanto and animal ID
- Farm and Ranch Reginaldo Haslett-Marroquin urges a chicken revolution
- Vaccination Updates Kendall Nelson on the real vaccine-autism connection
A Campaign for Real Milk:
- Healthy Baby Gallery: More Wise Traditions babies!
by Sally Fallon Morell
Living well in today’s toxic world requires constant vigilance; we must learn to avoid toxins like GMOs, glyphosate and sun screen, all discussed in feature articles in this issue, among many others. At the same time, we need to consume a clean diet rich in protective factors. There’s a lot of talk about those protective factors—antioxidants and vitamin C in vegetables, for example—but almost no mention of what I call Nutrient X, the most protective of them all!
And just what is that nutrient? Most of you will not be surprised when I say animal fats! Yes, the one nutrient that conventional nutrition tells us to avoid at all costs, is the nutrient that offers the most protection in this toxic world!
Animal fats contain vitamin A, absolutely the most important nutrient in our arsenal against poisons; they uniquely provide vitamin D and are the best source of vitamin K2, both of which have cancer-fighting properties. We get CLA, another cancer-fighting nutrient, from the fats of grass-fed animals. Animal fats provide arachidonic acid, critical for a healthy, nonporous gut and skin; and they are our best source of saturated fat, the fat that supports the balanced production of hormones and detoxifying enzymes. For our cells to work right, to keep out what doesn’t belong and to allow what does into the cells, at least half of the fatty acids in the cell membrane should be saturated fatty acids. I was struck by Dr. Litman’s description of what happens to the mitochondria in someone with cancer—their method of producing energy is messed up. Well, just like the cell membranes, the membranes of the mitochondria are composed of a double layer of fatty acids and at least half of them must be saturated for these energy-producing structures to work properly.
There were lots of saturated fats on display at Wise Traditions 2018, our 19th annual conference—piles of butter, of course, but also meat fats, coconut oil and foods cooked in lard. Where else can you eat such delicious, healthy food as at the Wise Traditions conference? Everyone noticed the buzz, the great atmosphere this year—must be all that happy-making food! More than anything, the Wise Traditions conference is a reunion of old friends and an opportunity to make many new friends. And we learned so much from the talks, seminars and panel discussions.
A huge thank you to all our exhibitors, speakers, food donors, volunteers and photographers Sandrine Perez and Lisa Bianco-Davis.
We are in the process of making plans for Wise Traditions 2019 November 15-17 and will let you know the place just as soon as it is set so that you can put the event on your calendars. Meanwhile, we wish everyone the very best for the holidays and a new year filled with happiness and good health!