Meringues are a good way to use up leftover egg whites. The following recipe comes from the book Nourishing Traditions.
- 6 egg whites
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Be sure to use a very clean bowl to beat your egg whites.
- Line a cookie sheet with buttered parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites with salt until they form stiff peaks.
- Beat in arrowroot.
- Slowly add maple syrup and vanilla, beating constantly.
- Place six blobs of egg white mixture on parchment paper and form a little hollow in each one.
- Cook overnight in a warm oven, about 150 degrees.
- Let cool before removing parchment paper.
- Store meringues in an airtight container until ready to use.
Note from Recipe Moderator
We recommend eggs from pastured-raised hens. Ideally, any supplemental feed would be organic and not include soy or corn.🖨️ Print post