This is how I personally use the rest of a roasted local pastured chicken in the Butter For ALL Kitchen. Pick all the leftover meat off the bones and refrigerate it while you make at least a gallon of stock with the bones. I cook my bone stock overnight on very low heat. Strain the stock and reserve it for the soup. Please note that all the ingredients are approximate as I never measure anything when it comes to soup.
- 1/4 cup butter (you knew it would start that way right?!)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp hot taco seasoning or chili powder
- 1/2 head of cabbage
- 4 large carrots
- 4-6 ribs celery
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 quarts chicken stock
- 4 cups roasted chicken meat (chopped)
- unrefined sea salt and pepper to taste
- raw jack cheese
- raw sour Cream
- tortilla chips (or real tortilla strips fried in lard)
- fresh tomato
- Melt the butter and sauté the onion and garlic over low heat.
- While this is slowly cooking, chop all the soup veggies. Add the seasonings to the onions and cook for a few minutes to release the flavors.
- Add the chopped vegetables and cook down for a few minutes at medium heat.
- Add the salsa, tomato sauce and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over medium high. Once boiling turn the heat back down to medium low or a slow simmer. Cook until the veggies are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Probably about 3 tsp salt and 1-2 tsp pepper. (If you have leftover rice or other cooked grain add it now.)
- Chop the chicken meat and add it into the soup. Cook for about 10 minutes before turning the heat off.
- Garnish each bowl with the toppings and prepare to fall in love.