Most people turn to the ketogenic diet to lose weight or to enhance athletic performance. Today, nutritionist Miriam Kalamian, author of “Keto for cancer,” explains how this diet is a powerful tool for improving our health overall. She tells how her son’s cancer diagnosis launched her on a mission to explore the possibility of nutritional therapy to improve his outcome. When she came across the keto diet, she saw promise. And once she changed how he was eating to align with keto, she saw its efficacy. Science backs up what she witnessed first-hand. Not only does the keto diet help cancer patients live longer, it also allows them to enjoy a much higher quality life.
On this episode, we discuss the origins of the healing keto diet, how it works on a cellular level, and why it is an effective and safe treatment for cancer. Miriam explains how nutrition can be the first line of defense for cancer treatment & recovery of health, or, how, at the very least, it can be an adjunct to conventional therapies.
Highlights from today’s episode include:
- the origins of ketogenic diet, which has been around for over 100 years!
- how social media played a role in bringing it back on the radar
- how it helps improve health overall, not just weight loss
- the core tenets of ketogenic diet
- how to know if this diet is right for you
- how it helps cancer patients
- Miriam’s experience with cancer and the ketogenic diet personally
- why nutrition comes last when a health crisis arises
- what goes on in cancer treatment rooms today
- the American Cancer Association’s dietary recommendations on weight maintenance
- how to get started on keto as cancer fighting therapy plan
- why sugar is to be avoided
- what we can do to prevent this epidemic of cancer
- why it is important to stop grazing all day
Miriam’s book – Keto for Cancer
“First Do No Harm” – 1997 TV Movie about ketogenic diet for a child suffering with epilepsy