This is a soaked whole grain gluten-free cracker recipe. Not only is there no flour or kneading required, but the crackers are properly prepared and delicious. My favorite way to enjoy them is with salmon roe on top.
- 1 cup organic amaranth, soaked
- warm filtered water
- 2 Tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups homemade chicken, beef or pork broth from pasture-raised animals
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, grass-fed ghee, grass-fed butter, palm shortening or pasture-raised lard
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt, plus extra for topping crackers with
- 1/2 tsp organic garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp organic rosemary, plus extra for topping crackers with
- organic black pepper to taste, plus extra for topping crackers with
- Pour amaranth into a bowl and cover with filtered water. Add apple cider vinegar and mix. Let sit for 24 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a pot, add fat, broth, amaranth and seasonings and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to a simmer for about 20-30 minutes. If it is too soupy, you will need to reduce the liquid down to a porridge or oatmeal consistency.
- Pour amaranth onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Make it a very thin consistency, no more than an 1/8-1/4 inch. Sprinkle more rosemary, salt and pepper on top.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes or until completely dry. Score the amaranth into crackers once finished baking. Another option is to dehydrate the mixture until completely dry.