S.F. 125 would require vaccine information on death investigation forms for children less than three years of age.
The form includes numerous questions about things that could be connected to the child’s death, including several questions about what the child ate – but the only question about vaccination is whether the child was “up to date” on their vaccinations. There are no questions about recent vaccinations.
Medical examiners and the health department should gather data on not only whether the child was recently vaccinated, but also the specific vaccine (and ideally the lot number). This information could reveal if there is a specific type of vaccine or batch that is linked to increased cases of unexpected deaths in infants and young children.
Families deserve to know if the vaccine could have played a role in their child’s death and public health officials need to know when there is a problem.
The bill has been approved by committee and now goes to the full Senate for a vote
- Contact your State Senator and urge him or her to support S.F. 125.
You can look up who represents you at: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/contacts
Sample script for email or calls is below. Personalize it by adding your own sentences and/or changing the wording – personal letters are far more effective than form letters!
“My name is ____ and I live in (town.) I am calling to ask Senator ___ to support S.F. 125, which would require immunization information to be included on the medial examiner death investigation form for children under the age of three.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends documenting children’s immunization history after death, but Iowa is not doing this.
This bill would help families and public health officials know if a particular vaccine needs investigation. There is no reason not to have questions about immunizations on death reports.
I urge you to do everything in your power to protect children from bad vaccine lots and to inform officials about potentially dangerous trends.”
Keep your call or email short! Pick the 2 or 3 talking points that are most important to you, and be sure to explain why this issue matters to you personally.
TALKING POINTS for calls and emails:
- Share why this is personal to you including any personal or family history of vaccine reactions.
- Vaccines are medical procedures that carry risk of serious injury. The U.S. Supreme Court recognizes vaccines to be “unavoidably unsafe” and to cause injury and death in some recipients. The U.S. Government has paid out $4.4 billion to the victims of vaccine injury. Hundreds of thousands have reported an adverse reaction to vaccination to VAERS. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/ensuringsafety/monitoring/vaers/
- Vaccine package inserts warn of the risk of brain damage, life-threatening allergy, and death.
- The Centers for Disease Control’s publication “Sudden Unexplained Infant Death Investigation”, Chapter 9 Certification of Unexplained Infant Deaths, lists documenting an infant’s medical history including immunization history, as the “minimum to consider an infant death investigation complete or adequate and amenable to certification.”
- The CDC’s most recent 2020 “Sudden Unexpected Infant Death Investigation Reporting Form (SUNDIRF)” on page 4 question 13 asks, In the 72 hours before death, was the infant given any vaccinations or medications?” There is a chart provided to fill out the vaccine name, dose last given, the date and time given, and an area to provide additional comments. Iowa should be doing this every time but they are not.
Learn more about the bill here:🖨️ Print post