This is also known as Creme Anglaise. This recipe appears on p. 578 of the book Nourishing Traditions, and we’ve decided to include it in our “recipe of the week series” now because it is an optional topping for the baked pear recipe we just published! Makes 3 cups:
- 2 cups heavy cream, preferably raw, not ultra-pasteurized
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger, optional
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 large pasture-raised egg yolks
- Combine cream, syrup or honey, optional ginger and vanilla in a bowl.
- Heat until quite warm, but not burning, to the touch by placing the bowl in a pan of simmering water.
- Meanwhile, place egg yolks in a double boiler and beat for several minutes until pale.
- Over a low flame, add the warm cream mixture to yolks very gradually, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Chill well.
- Serve with fresh berries or other fruit.
Leave a Reply