Tongue should be salted, boiled and peeled in advance. Instructions are here. Once it’s prepared, you can cool it in it’s broth and leave for a couple of days in your fridge. At this point, it will take about 10 minutes to throw together your sandwiches. The broth can always be saved for adding to soup or cooking rice.
Recipe Moderator Notes: We recommend that the tongue be 100% pasture-raised, vegetables organically grown and that the bacon be prepared according to these principles. Read more about the description of this recipe.
- 8 oz bacon
- 1/2 cow’s tongue, salted, poached, and peeled
- 1/2 loaf sourdough bread
- butter or mayonnaise [another mayonnaise recipe]
- half head of lettuce
- 2 avocados
- Fry up the bacon strips until crispy. Remove bacon from pan and reserve.
- Using the same pan, heat slices of tongue in remaining bacon grease.
- Meanwhile, slice your [naturally leavened, traditionally fermented] sourdough bread. Generously garnish each slice with butter or mayonnaise, followed by a leaf of lettuce.
- Cover one side of your bread with a slice(s) of tongue, spoonfuls of avocado, followed by a couple of strips of bacon. Optionally, cover your sandwich with another slice of bread – topped with butter/mayo and lettuce. Enjoy!