I love tartare and ceviche. I combined elements from both dishes in this recipe. It’s a great appetizer, party dish or meal in itself. Whitefish is incredibly delicate and delicious, but other fish can be used too – wild salmon, etc.
- 1 pound whitefish filet (about 1 slab)
- 1/2 English cucumber
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 shallot
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Linden capers (or use regular capers)
- 1 tsp aged fish sauce (optional)
- 1 Tbsp dried ramps (optional or use green onions)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- unrefined sea salt and black pepper
- fresh or dried dill (optional)
- few violets for garnish (optional)
- Cut whitefish into 1-inch cubes. Place in mixing bowl and add lemon juice.
- Dice cucumber and shallot. Add along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Marinate about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- It’s best fresh, but it stays fresh a couple of days in the refrigerator.