Tell House Agriculture Committee Members to Vote YES on SF 2309
Support Legal Raw Milk Sales in Iowa
Senate File 2309 (SF 2309, formerly Senate Study Bill SSB 3126) passed out of the Senate and I has been assigned to the House Agriculture Committee. In order for the bill to move onto the House floor, it needs to pass out of the House Agriculture Subcommittee and full committee by the end of this week. It is imperative to contact all committee members ASAP asking them to hold both subcommittee and committee hearings THIS week on SF 2309 and vote YES on the bill.
SF 2309 would allow the sale of raw milk and raw milk products from dairy farms direct to consumers on the farm or through delivery. There are testing and labeling requirements, and those purchasing raw milk and raw milk products may not resell those foods. Farmers operating under the bill are exempt from regulation by the State including any licensing, permitting or inspection requirements.
There are currently 44 states that allow the sale or distribution of raw milk; 38 states allow the sale or distribution for human consumption with another six states allowing the sale for animal consumption. Iowa is clearly an outlier; state law currently prohibits any sale or distribution of raw milk. All states bordering Iowa allow the sale of raw milk.
Your support for SF 2309 is critical. Please do what you can to end raw milk prohibition in Iowa.
ACTION TO TAKE
Call and/or email members of the House Agriculture Committee asking them to hold a hearing and vote YES on SF 2309. Calls are best. It is especially important to do so if you are a constituent of a committee member.
You can include any of the Talking Points below. Click here to find your legislators.
You may copy/paste this block to email all Ag committee members (see below for Contact inks to get phone numbers):
Ross.Paustian@legis.iowa.gov; Chad.Ingels@legis.iowa.gov; Eric.Gjerde@legis.iowa.gov; Terry.Baxter@legis.iowa.gov; Brian.Best@legis.iowa.gov; Thomas.Gerhold@legis.iowa.gov; Steve.Hansen@legis.iowa.gov; Lee.email@example.com; Lindsay.James@legis.iowa.gov; Kenan.Judge@legis.iowa.gov; firstname.lastname@example.org; Shannon.Latham@legis.iowa.gov; Charlie.McClintock@legis.iowa.gov; Norlin.Mommsen@legis.iowa.gov; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; Mike.Sexton@legis.iowa.gov; David.Sieck@legis.iowa.gov; Ras.Smith@legis.iowa.gov; Jon.Thorup@legis.iowa.gov; Dave.Williams@legis.iowa.gov; John.Wills@legis.iowa.gov; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
1. Raw milk has a good track record for safety. According to at least one study, the number of illnesses attributed to raw milk consumption has declined as demand for the product has increased.
2. Passage of SF 2309 will keep more of the food dollar in the state economy. With the sale of raw milk being legal in all of Iowa’s bordering states, there are lost revenues.
3. Passage of SF 2309 would enable family farmers to make a better living. Raw milk in other states is often the product that first draws the consumer to set foot on the farm leading to sales of other foods such as meat, poultry, eggs, and produce.
4. The bill supports consumer choice. The consumption of all raw milk products is legal in Iowa. Instead of having to cross state lines to exercise their legal right, shouldn’t Iowans have access to those products from Iowa farmers?
5. Share your own story of how raw milk has positively impacted your family.
House Agriculture Committee members are listed below and you can click the member’s name to view their full contact information. The Capitol switchboard phone number is 515-281-3371.
- Ross C. Paustian (R, District 92), Chair
- Chad Ingels (R, District 64), Vice Chair
- Eric Gjerde (D, District 67), Ranking Member
- Terry C. Baxter (R, District 8)
- Brian Best (R, District 12)
- Thomas D. Gerhold (R, District 75)
- Steven Hansen (D, District 14)
- Lee Hein (R, District 96)
- Lindsay James (D, District 99)
- Kenan Judge (D, District 44)
- Jarad J. Klein (R, District 78)
- Shannon Latham (R, District 54)
- Charlie McClintock (R, District 95)
- Norlin Mommsen (R, District 97)
- Rick L. Olson (D, District 31)
- Todd Prichard (D, District 52)
- Mike Sexton (R, District 10)
- David Sieck (R, District 23)
- RasTafari Smith (D, District 62)
- Jon Thorup (R, District 28)
- Dave Williams (D, District 60)
- John H. Wills (R, District 1)
- Mary Lynn Wolfe (D, District 98)
SSB 3126 – https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=SSB%203126&ga=89
House Agriculture Committee –https://www.legis.iowa.gov/committees/committee?ga=89&groupID=694
Find Your Legislators – https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/find🖨️ Print post