The following recipe comes from the book Nourishing Traditions. Photo supplied by Christine Muldoon of Nourish The Littles. Note that we recommend eggs from hens on pasture, whose supplemental feed doesn’t include soy or corn, and that all of these ingredients be organic.
- 6 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- grated rind of 2 lemons
- strained juice of 2 lemons
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, preferably raw, not ultra-pasteurized, well chilled
Be sure to use a very clean bowl to beat your egg whites.
- Place egg yolks, honey, lemon rind and lemon juice in the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- Whisk constantly for about 10 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and chill in refrigerator for about 1/2 hour.
- Beat cream until stiff. In a separate clean bowl, beat egg whites with sea salt until stiff.
- Fold lemon mixture into cream and then egg whites into cream mixture.
- Spoon into individual parfait glasses and chill well before serving.
Variation: Lime Mousse
Use rind and juice of 3 limes instead of lemons.🖨️ Print post