As a young man, Brian Richards had a laundry list of health issues: mind-racing, insomnia, acne, adrenal fatigue and more. Doctors wanted to give him Accutane and other pharmaceutical drugs to manage his symptoms, but he wanted to get to the source of the problem. He realized that the reason for cellular degradation is our environmental toxic exposure on a variety of levels—chemical, electro-magnetic, emotional, etc. He sought a natural detox solution and his research led him to the conclusion that passive sweating is one of the best ways to detox the body. He decided to build his own sauna to provide that full-body thermal light therapy for himself.
In today’s episode, Brian shares his own story and those of patients who have benefited from this therapy, along with the science behind why saunas work: how near-infrared incandescent light exposure stimulates the cells so that they can repair themselves, and allows the body to detox.
Highlights from the conversation include:
- how the sun provides the beneficial light that our bodies need
- the problems that have arisen from our lack of exposure to it
- how every human culture has a sauna tradition.
- how the purpose of the sauna is to recreate that experience with the sun, and to trigger passive sweating
- why/how passive sweating is more beneficial for the body than active sweating
- how our skin is the ultimate detoxifier
- the toxins that surround us—mercury, aluminum, pesticides—and how we encounter them
- why they are the main reason for our cellular degeneration
- the benefits of passive sweating (paired with infrared light) for healing
- how this therapy shapes improves outlook, lessens anxiety, improves patience, ups energy levels, and relieves insomnia
- how light therapy activates biological systems that help the mitochondria reduce cell inflammation, promote anti-aging, and repair epigenetics
- the damage & stress that comes from blue light (from our screens, tablets, etc.) which is ubiquitous
- how our ancestors got: full-spectrum light in a balanced fashion
- how his son’s staph infection cleared up without antibiotics, thanks to heat-lamp therapy (10 min. in morning and 10 min. in evening for 15 days)
- how a woman turned around her fibromyalgia within a matter of months
- how a man who was sensitive to sunlight was able to build his body back up
- the theory that bad genes (that contribute to Lyme’s or other diseases) are already in all of our bodies, but they are only expressed when we are stressed or vulnerable
- light activates human biological systems; heat therapy is also supported by science
- the importance of taking your health into your own hands
- how natural healing is lower risk compared to invasive, conventional solutions