Are you concerned about our planet’s degradation? Allan Savory has fresh ideas for how to reverse the situation and restore our deteriorating grasslands. As a young man studying zoology and botany in South Africa, he challenged the presuppositions regarding what was causing climate change. He, too, at one point, thought that perhaps too many animals was the problem, but he came to a different conclusion when he saw the ineffectiveness of that approach.
Now he believes that the answer can be found in holistic management. The idea is to properly manage the tools at our disposal, including animals! Holistic management can also be applied to our own lives, whether we live in cities or farms. It’s a concept that can improve the environment and health of “team humanity” all over the globe.
Allan Savory, of the Savory Institute, was born in Zimbabwe and was educated in South Africa, where he received bachelor degrees in zoology and botany. He has committed his life to developing sustainable solutions to reverse the desertification of the world’s grassland ecosystems. His quest, and our own, is the preservation of the planet and the survival of the human race.
In this episode, you will discover:
- the symptoms of desertification: increasing poverty, social breakdown, political unrest, accusation of minority groups, immigration, recruitment of participants in dissident organizations, and climate change
- the two things most blamed for climate change: fossil resources (coal, oil, gas) and livestock
- how the management of the resources causes the problem (not the resources themselves)
- why Allan believes the animals are the only thing that can help us to address climate change
- how to address global scale desertification
- the failure of the United Nations’ millennial goals; and the predicted failure of the 17 new sustainable development goals – all of which address symptoms of the issues surrounding climate change but not the root of the problem
- how a “reductionist” (specialized approach) only makes things worse.
- the good news: over 40 million acres on 6 continents are being managed holistically
- what the critics say
- the definition of holistic management
- an understanding of regenerative agriculture
TED talk 2013 – Allan Savory: “How to green the world’s deserts and reverse climate change.”
Savory.global – The Savory Institute website
“Holistic management: A new framework for decision-making” by Allan Savory🖨️ Print post
Leave a Reply