Here’s a superdelicious nutrient-dense soup full of healthy veggies, protein and bone broth. Feel free to make this your own. Add different veggies to your family’s liking and get creative too. Be sure to plan ahead for the soaking time of the lentils and quinoa.
- meat from 1 cooked chicken
- chicken bone broth from 1 chicken (approx. 3-4 quarts)
- 2 cups red lentils, soaked in warm water and 2 Tbsp lemon juice, vinegar or whey for 10 hours
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- cilantro to taste
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- basil to taste (I made an ice cube tray with fresh basil and olive oil during the summer and I used 1 cube.)
- 2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 Tbsp Braggs Organic Sea Kelp Delight
- 2 medium red potatoes, chopped small
- 2 quarts chicken bone broth for the quinoa
- 2 cups quinoa, soaked in warm water and 2 Tbsp lemon juice, vinegar or whey for 12 hours
- In a medium skillet, sauté the onion, carrots, garlic and celery in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes.
- While this is cooking, drain, rinse and place soaked red lentils in a large stock pot with the 3-4 quarts of chicken bone broth.
- Bring to a boil and let cook for 10 minutes. Add in salt, sea kelp seasoning, basil, cilantro, potatoes and sautéed veggies. Let cook for 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft. Stir often to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- While the lentil soup is cooking, prepare the quinoa. After the quinoa is soaked, rinse and drain well. Cook in 2 quarts chicken bone broth.
- To serve, I just let everyone spoon the soup into bowls. I keep the quinoa and the chicken on the side and let them add in as much as they like.
- Serve with creme fraiche for some added probiotics and creaminess.
Leave a Reply