Basil is in season for many of us! What is the herb basil good for? Scientific studies show that Ocimum basilicum has some of the following positive effects:
- Pain-reducer (analgesic)
- Fever-reducer (antipyretic)
- Liver-protector (hepatoprotective)
- Blood vessel-protector
- Anti-stress solution
- 8 cups frozen peas
- 10 cups vegetable broth – or bone broth as an alternative if serving warm
- 2 cups packed basil
- 1/4 cup crispy almonds or pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice from one lemon
- ½ cup olive oil
- Sea salt
- Cream or coconut milk (optional)
- Scallions as a garnish (optional)
- Prepare pesto: in food processor or immersion blender, blend together basil, nuts, garlic, lemon, and olive oil until smooth.
- Prepare soup as follows:
- In large pot, place peas and broth. Bring to a boil, then turn off heat.
- Using immersion blender, carefully blend peas and broth.
- Stir pesto into warm soup.
- Salt to taste.
- May add cream or coconut milk.
- This soup may be eaten warm or cold.
Leave a Reply