Your Donations Needed to Support Legal Action
The Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund has agreed to research legal options to overturn AB 1735, a new California law that mandates standards so stringent that raw milk dairies would not be able to comply on a consistent basis. By eliminating the major producers of raw milk in California and sending a clear message to legislators in other states, this law will adversely affect the availability of raw milk throughout the country.
The law, signed by Gov. Schwarzenegger on October 8 and scheduled to take effect January 1, imposes a strict limit of 10 coliform bacteria per milliliter in tests taken at the point of sale. All other states with the coliform limit of ten for retail raw milk test at the bulk tank. Since coliform bacteria rapidly divide and multiply whenever milk is sent through pipes, the new law will mean an end to raw milk sales in California.
Neither Organic Pastures Dairy nor Claravale Dairy, the two licensed raw milk dairies in California, were notified of hearings on the bill. Spokesmen for both dairies have expressed opposition to the legislation, which they characterize as a “sneak attack” on raw milk.
Most coliform bacteria are not pathogens but essential probiotic good bacteria. Both dairies have a superlative safety record. Claravale has been supplying raw milk to the public without incident for over 80 years; over 1300 tests carried out at Organic Pastures since its founding in 1999 have failed to find a single human pathogen.
Spearheaded by Mark McAfee, president of Organic Pastures Dairy, consumers are engaged in opposition to the legislation on three fronts
1. Negotiations with the California Department of Farms and Agriculture and the governor to overturn the legislation
2. Lobbying and letter writing on the part of consumers
3. Research into legal avenues to stop AB1735 in the courts.
Action to Take
1. Send your donations to the Farm-to-Consumer Foundation, a Section 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission statement and purpose is, in part, to help save the nation’s family farms by protecting the constitutional right of farmers to provide their unprocessed and processed farm foods directly to consumers through any legal means. If everyone receiving this email would donate just $25 to the Farm-to-Consumer Foundation, we’d have the funds needed to mount a powerful campaign. By donating to the Foundation, you will contribute to the AB1735 Revolt and ensure that your right to raw milk and raw milk products is protected.
AB1735 Legal Defense Campaign
8116 Arlington Blvd., Suite 263,
Falls Church, VA 22042
California stores that carry raw milk have said they will add to the kitty as well. The goal is to raise about $35,000 dollars in the next few weeks to fund very aggressive legal protection actions to stop AB 1735 via court proceedings and subsequent litigation. Your donations can also help expose the parties that performed this quiet and surgical sneak attack on your rights to eat the foods of your choosing.
2. Keep those letters coming to legislators and the governor of California. For contact information and sample letters, go to
Thank you for your help in keeping raw milk alive in California!