- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion and 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2-4 tablespoons good-quality olive oil
- 1 large can organic crushed tomatoes (or the equivalent in meaty, fresh tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Zested rind of 1 lemon or 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (or 2 tablespoons dried) and 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Asiago, Parmesan or Romano cheese, freshly grated (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, zest or vinegar, herbs and salt and pepper.
- Simmer over medium heat for twenty to thirty minutes. Alternatively, combine in a Vitamix and blend until hot.
- Adding 1/4 cup of grated Asiago, Parmesan or Romano cheese enriches this classic sauce.
Leave a Reply