My new favorite kraut to eat is this superfood of beets, ginger and cabbage. It is full of taurine that helps your digestion, and supports your liver and gallbladder. Plus all the powerful gut healing that comes with raw fermented vegetables. So healthy! And the taste is so incredibly good that it has become a side to lunch and dinner consistently. This may quickly become one of your favorites too. Serve this on your table with the pretty color from the beets and your family will get a healthy dose of cultured veggies too!
- 1 large beet
- 1 2-3 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 medium head of green or red cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unrefined sea salt
- 2 Tbsp whey
- Begin by mixing water with salt and whey. Let sit while you prepare the beet, ginger and cabbage.
- In a food processor, shred the beet, ginger and cabbage, and place in a large bowl.
- Mix the vegetables with your hands to incorporate.
- Place shredded vegetables into a quart jar. Fill jar leaving 3 inches of headspace for the vegetables to expand while fermenting.
- Pour water, salt and whey mixture into jar over the veggies. Fill jar with additional filtered water if needed until the vegetables are completely covered.
- Put top on jar and let sit on counter to ferment. Taste after 3 days. If you like the taste, place in the refrigerator. If you would like it more sour, let sit on counter, tasting each day until you have your taste preference.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 9 months.