Did you know that by consuming mushrooms you are adding nutritional value to your diet. They contain protein, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. These stuffed mushrooms are a hit at any gathering. Serve as an appetizer or with a meal. Better yet make it the meal – they are that good!
- 1 lb mushrooms (I prefer baby portabellas)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp finely minced onion
- 2 medium-sized garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup organic whole grain sourdough bread crumbs
- 4 oz softened organic cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated romano cheese
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Coat bottom of baking dish with a thin coat of butter.
- Wipe down mushrooms with a damp cloth to clean.
- Remove stems and roughly chop.
- Heat saute pan and melt butter. Add mushroom stems and onion. Saute for a few minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional minute or two.
- Add cream cheese, romano cheese, parsley, thyme, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and combine well.
- Spoon mixture into mushroom caps.
- Arrange in baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Grate some additional romano cheese on top and serve.