Low-carb, high-fat (LCHF) diets are trending, but how healthy are they really? Are they for everyone? What does the science say? Professor Tim Noakes, co-author of “The Real Meal Revolution,” is a renowned scientist and researcher from South Africa who is convinced that most people can improve their health by restricting their carbohydrate intake and upping their fats.
He had to defend this dietary position in recent years before the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA). He came before the council as a result of a tweet where he replied to a breastfeeding mother, suggesting that she wean her baby to a LCHF diet. The trial was focused, in part, on whether he was offering “unconventional and unscientific” advice to the mother.
In today’s episode, you’ll learn about the outcome of the trial, why the LCHF (a/k/a Banting) diet is scorned by some, what health benefits can result from adopting it, what it looks like to eat this way in the day-to-day, and more.
Highlights of the conversation include:
- how Professor Tim’s book promoted a high fat diet that dramatically improved many people’s health in South Africa
- how consequently several local dieticians became very upset
- his trial before the HPCSA
- how Nina Tiecholz and Zoe Harcombe testified on his behalf (both have been featured on Wise Traditions podcast episodes)
- how the public is slowly changing the doctors’ opinions about what constitutes a healthy diet
- how the Banting diet (LCHF) is similar to the Atkins diet or any other low carb diet
- how if you are insulin resistant, the lower the carbohydrate intake, the longer you’ll live without developing type 2 diabetes
- the myth of carb intake for instant energy
- how you can adapt to burning fat as fuel
- how the Agricultural Revolution changed our dietary habits for worse
- what diets looked like before that
- how you might feel the first week or two as you adapt to a lower-carb diet
- how Professor Noakes’ running performance improved as a result of the LCHF diet
- why diet organizations in South Africa attacked Professor Noakes
- why he considers statin drugs one of the most ineffective drugs in history
- how a high fat diet keeps you satisfied and rarely hungry
- how you should control your food and food shouldn’t control you
- how toxic and addictive convenience foods are
- how those foods contribute to sickness and obesity among the poorest people groups
Website – TheNoakesFoundation.org – foundation established by Professor Noakes to combat obesity and type 2 diabetes
Facebook page: Banting 7 Day Meal Plan
On Tim Noakes and BS
“The Real Meal Revolution” by Professor Tim Noakes, Jonno Proudfoot, Sally-Ann Creed
“The New Atkins for a New You” – Book by Eric C. Westman, Jeff S. Volek, and Stephen D. Phinney
This was a great podcast! Thanks for interviewing Professor Noakes. The Low-carb high-fat community and the Weston A. Price Foundation have a lot in common, and I am so glad to see us (at WAPF) interviewing lchf leaders!