Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet and even though it’s not a typical flavor for a soda, it works really well. Sweet potatoes ferment very easily. Most fruits and vegetables have a natural yeast bloom on them, they will often readily ferment on their own, with a bit of added sugar to help the yeast along.
It takes just a few days, for the shredded sweet potato mixture to get little bubbles on the surface. Give the mixture a stir every day to make sure that all of the shredded bits stay under the liquid, and to keep the natural yeast happy.
1 sweet potato
½ cup honey
1 inch ginger
½ inch turmeric root
About ½ gallon water
- Don’t peel potato, just shred with peel on, same with turmeric and ginger.
- Bacteria for fermenting lives on the peels.
- Combine everything in ½ gallon jar, leave 1 inch headspace, for bubbles.
- Cover with cloth or coffee filter.
- Let it sit in a room temperature about 3-5 days, until it’s getting a bit tangy and foam forms on the top.
- When it’s ready then strain and bottle.
- Keep it in fridge.
- Stays fresh long time.
- If storing for long time, then open the lid once in a while to release carbonation buildup.
Joana pedro says
i will definitely try this. But can use white sugar instead of honey? Can i use ginger an tumeric in powder instead?
I am excited to try this! Can maple syrup be substituted for the honey? I have lots of syrup, not so much honey 😊 Thanks!
Wow! This looks amazing!
I will definitely give it a try.
Bunny T says
just how much bee pollen?
Can a butternut squash be substituted for the sweet potato? Is bee pollen necessary?