Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet and even though it’s not a typical flavor for a soda, it works really well. Sweet potatoes ferment very easily. Most fruits and vegetables have a natural yeast bloom on them, they will often readily ferment on their own, with a bit of added sugar to help the yeast along.
It takes just a few days, for the shredded sweet potato mixture to get little bubbles on the surface. Give the mixture a stir every day to make sure that all of the shredded bits stay under the liquid, and to keep the natural yeast happy.
1 sweet potato
½ cup honey
1 inch ginger
½ inch turmeric root
About ½ gallon water
- Don’t peel potato, just shred with peel on, same with turmeric and ginger.
- Bacteria for fermenting lives on the peels.
- Combine everything in ½ gallon jar, leave 1 inch headspace, for bubbles.
- Cover with cloth or coffee filter.
- Let it sit in a room temperature about 3-5 days, until it’s getting a bit tangy and foam forms on the top.
- When it’s ready then strain and bottle.
- Keep it in fridge.
- Stays fresh long time.
- If storing for long time, then open the lid once in a while to release carbonation buildup.