Easy to make, very satisfying. Can be used as a sandwich spread or add to stews, vegetables, sauces, add to charcuterie board, or dog treat. I got 3 pounds of free pork fat from a tiny butcher chop. Apparently I’m not the only one who asks for it – someone from the zoo takes it to polar bear!
Cook those on medium heat in cast iron caldron until slightly browned
- 3 lb fat, cut in chunks
- 5 Honeycrisp apples, cored
- 1 onion
- 2/3 lb fermented green tomatoes, Marigolds, garlic mix. See recipe
- 4 tbsp sumac
- 3 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp white pepper
- Handful ramps
- Handful fenugreek leaves
- 3 tbsp pine cone shoots powder
- Himalayan salt for taste
- Mix it all in, let it cool a bit, then process until smooth consistency in the food processor or blender.
- Store in glass jars.
- This stays fresh few weeks in the fridge.