Is fasting good for you? How should your diet change as you age? What’s the best way to lose unwanted pounds? Why do “diet dictocrats” still insist we eat a low-fat diet, when the science points in a different direction? In today’s conversation with Sally Fallon Morell, the head of the Weston A. Price Foundation, we touch on all of these topics.
It is a “best of” bonus episode, featuring excerpts from articles in the Wise Traditions spring journal. You’ll learn why nothing is off the table on the Wise Traditions diet. You’ll hear about the misguided advice given to diabetic children and adults. You’ll gain insight from Dr. Cowan’s suggestions on balancing calorie intake and activity level. And, finally, you’ll be shocked by some myth-busting related to the “Blue Zones” take on the traditional diets of Costa Ricans.
There are nutrition and wellness hacks in every segment of this episode. Listen closely and you will be the better for it!
Today we recap the Wise Traditions spring journal 2017. It is jam-packed with information useful for beginners, and all those who want to better understand how to improve their health through nutrition.
Sally covers intermittent fasting and she also reveals her 4-step protocol for weight loss: purge, splurge, fast, and last. She touches on diabetes and the poor advice that is given to those who suffer with it. She reviews how the Wise Traditions diet is an inclusive diet, giving us the freedom to embrace all food groups.
The conversation wraps up with a fascinating account of an interview with Costa Rican centenarians. All of this is covered in the spring issue of the Wise Traditions journal, which is available through WAPF. It is a gift to members and can be purchased by anyone at any time.
Other episode highlights include:
- Sally’s column “Caustic Commentary” about recent trends, articles, and studies
- The misguided advice given to children and adults with diabetes, and some more helpful suggestions for those struggling with blood sugar dysregulation
- Dr. Cowan’s article “Couch potato or Marathon runner” on balancing calories with activity level
- How fasting for 18 hours can jump start weight loss and detoxification
- Sally’s thoughts on weight loss and why it should involve very little effort
- Why depriving diets aren’t healthy or sustainable and the joys of the WT diet
- The traditional diets of Costa Ricans in the Nicoya peninsula